Elephants retire from a circus – level 2
After 145 years as the centrepiece of the Ringling Brothers’ Circus, the show’s last 11 elephants arrived at a conservation centre in Florida. They are there to officially retire. They spent most of their lives in front of crowds of people. Now, it is time for a well-earned rest.
Fewer than 40,000 elephants remain in the wild. Two hundred and fifty are in captivity in the United States, 39 of which are now at the 200-acre centre in Florida.
Difficult words: centrepiece (the most important part of something), conservation centre (a place where animals can live safely), captivity (not in the wild).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.