Emu on a highway – level 3
This is the moment drivers on a highway on the outskirts of Tel Aviv were left wondering, “Why did the emu cross the road?”, as they spotted one sprinting alongside their vehicles.
On Sunday morning, the giant bird was filmed on a mobile phone by a driver, as he raced next to cars on the road, as if he was one himself.
Luckily, drivers managed to slow down as the emu neared their vehicles.
The bird continued to run as shocked drivers came to a stop at a red traffic light near a shopping centre.
In the end, according to Israeli media, concerned onlookers managed to capture the bird near the shopping centre.
Reports also said that the bird which was thought to have run away from a nearby farm was eventually returned to its owners.
Difficult words: outskirts (the outer parts of a city), Why did the emu cross the road? (This is based on a joke about a chicken), spot (to see), sprint (to run), onlooker (a person watching something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos