End of the one-child policy – level 1
This news is from China. Chinese parents can have only one child. This is called the “one-child policy”.
The policy started in 1979. It stopped around 400 million births. People with more children became in big trouble.
All this can change, however. The Chinese government plans to let people there have two children.
Difficult words: policy (a rule – a rule tells you what you can or cannot do), birth (when a baby is born), government (a group of people who are “bosses” of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the change in the one-child policy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.