Energy from peat – level 1
Peat is a dark brown thing. It looks like dirt. It contains dead plants, vegetables, and other things. Farmers often use it to grow plants.
Scientists in Estonia use peat for something different. They make batteries from it. They heat the peat for a few hours. They get a brown powder.
They use the powder for a new type of batteries. These batteries are called sodium-ion batteries. Most electric things use lithium-ion batteries. People can charge them many times. They cost more money. Expensive metals are in lithium-ion batteries.
Sodium-ion batteries are cheaper. Scientists believe that they are not so bad for the natural world.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.