Ernest Shackleton’s ship found – level 1
It is the year 1914. World War I is starting in Europe. Sir Ernest Shackleton is going on an expedition. Shackleton and his crew travel to the South Pole.
They want to walk across Antarctica. Their ship is called Endurance. Problems come. The ship freezes in ice. It cannot move. The crew must wait for spring.
The ice starts to melt. It breaks the ship. The crew must leave. They camp on the ice. The ship sinks to the bottom of the sea.
Scientists find the ship this year. It is in 3,000 meters of water. It is in water for 107 years. It still looks very good.
Difficult words: expedition (a long journey by a group of people, who want to do something special somewhere), crew (a group of people who work on a ship, plane and so on), melt (to change ice or snow into water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.