Ethiopia Conflict – level 1
Tigray State is in Ethiopia. Ethiopia’s officials say that Tigray soldiers kill hundreds of people. It is very violent.
Many people leave Ethiopia. They are scared. They run away to Sudan. Ethiopia’s soldiers fight with local soldiers. Ethiopia’s soldiers win. Injured people need blood. Ethiopia’s government asks people for help. Many people donate blood.
The situation is not easy. Tigray soldiers say that they do nothing wrong. It is not possible to say who tells the truth.
Tigray State’s president must quit his job. Officials say that he helps terrorism. Terrorism is when you hurt or kill people to get something that you want. Officials say that the president does not fight for his country. Officials appoint a new president.
Difficult words: donate (to give something to somebody who needs it more), quit (to end, leave), appoint (to make someone officially start a job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos