EU and Russian energy – level 2
When Russia attacked Ukraine in February, the EU acted very quickly to give consequences to Russia. Interestingly, the EU is still buying energy from Russia.
Before the war started, 47% of coal, 41% of gas, and 27% of oil came from Russia. This energy was for households and big companies, too.
Since the start of the war, the EU paid Russia more than 46 billion euros for its energy. Ukrainian president Volodimir Zelensky said that the EU made money from blood because Russia bought weapons with the money.
The EU wants to end imports of Russian coal this summer. Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands are countries which buy the most Russian energy. Now, they must get it from somewhere else. They can possibly buy from the US, and the EU can also make more nuclear energy.
Difficult words: household (a group of people who live in a home), import (when you buy things from another country), nuclear energy (a type of energy which comes from the smallest things called atoms).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.