EU car ban – level 2
Electrification is a process of replacing technologies and cars which run on gas or diesel with technologies that use electricity.
In October last year, EU countries agreed that they would ban the sale of cars that run on gas or diesel. The European Parliament approved the law last week, and now, the governments must approve it, too. Everyone expects that they will do it in March this year. The law means that all cars sold from 2030 must have zero CO2 emissions. The cars sold from 2030 must produce 55% fewer CO2 emissions.
European car makers are putting a lot of money into electrification. German carmaker Volkswagen said that it would only produce electric cars in Europe from 2033.
Difficult words: replace (to put something in use instead of something else), approve (to officially agree with something), CO2 emission (gas which cars or factories produce when they burn coal, oil, or natural gas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Which EU country is the first to ban the sale of gas and diesel cars?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos