Europe heatwave – level 1
The weather is very hot in Europe these days. The heatwave has the name Charon.
Greece closes the Acropolis. It is one of the most famous monuments in the country. Authorities want to keep the tourists safe. It is 38 degrees Celsius. In Italy, Spain, France, Germany, and Poland, it is very hot, too. It is possible that there will be a new record of temperature.
A study from last year says that 61,000 people die from the heat. Southern Europe expects very high temperatures next week. For some people, the hot weather is very dangerous. Elderly people often do not have money to buy air conditioning. Heatwaves are very dangerous for them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other measures are being taken in Southern Europe to protect vulnerable people from the effects of the heatwave?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.