Ex-President Dies – level 1
Hosni Mubarak is the president of Egypt. He is the president from 1981 to 2011. There are many problems in the country. People are poor. They are not happy with the government. They want Mubarak to leave his job.
There are many protests. Officials kill a lot of people.
In 2011, Mubarak leaves his job. The police arrest him. Mubarak goes to court. The court says that Mubarak is guilty. He lets officials kill people during protests. The court sends Mubarak to prison.
Mubarak leaves prison in 2017. He is very ill. Mubarak dies this week. He is 91 years old.
Difficult words: protests (when people meet in the streets because they are not happy and they want a change), arrest (when police take a person away to ask about a crime), guilty (when somebody does something bad and people know he does it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.