Ex-soldier helps a refugee girl – level 2
An English ex-soldier was in the Calais refugee camp in France. He was playing with a little girl who fled Afghanistan with her father. The girl and her father have family in England and wanted to go there.
The Afghan refugee asked the Englishman to hide his daughter in his car and take her to England. The ex-soldier saw the horrible situation in the camp, and he decided to help the little girl.
However, French police stopped him, and the man is now in trouble for helping illegal immigration. He could go to jail or receive a fine of up to £20,000 by a French court.
Difficult words: refugee (a person who had to leave his or her country because of a bad situation), flee (to leave, to run away), fine (making someone pay for doing something illegal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.