ExoMars mission – level 2
People launched a rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. The Russian rocket carried up two robotic probes which will travel to Mars. This is the European Space Agency’s ExoMars mission.
If all goes to plan, the journey to Mars should take seven months – the probes will reach the planet in October. When they get close to the Red Planet, they will separate. One probe will land on Mars and the other will orbit around the planet.
It will collect information about the atmosphere. Scientists are especially interested in the methane gas there because this is a sign of life.
Difficult words: launch (to go up), probe (an unmanned spacecraft which collects information), separate (to go apart), orbit (to move in a circle).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think the probes will find on Mars?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.