Expensive working dog – level 2
A working dog auction happened in Victoria, Australia. One dog set a new auction record when anonymous buyers bought him for $35,200.
The last record was $25,000 in 2019. An auction worker said that maybe the dog’s cost was so high because there are few farm workers and the auction was online because of the coronavirus.
The dog is a kelpie, which is an Australian dog. This dog comes from the British border collie. This dog also herds animals.
A video showed the dog which was working with sheep and cows in many places. He is two years old, and he can run across big distances quickly, and he controls large groups of animals with skill.
Difficult words: auction (an event where you sell something to a person who pays more than other people), set (made), herd (to move groups of animals in the direction which you want), distance (how far it is between two places).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.