Explosion in Tianjin – level 2
Two explosions in the Chinese port of Tianjin killed at least 85 people last Wednesday. The massive explosions originated in a warehouse with strong toxic chemicals.
People corndoned off a three-kilometre area from the explosions, and 6,300 people evacuated. Thirty-three people remain in serious conditions in hospital.
The exclusion zone was originally smaller, but the police made it bigger because of the wind. There are deadly chemicals at the site.
Difficult words: warehouse (a building where you keep many things), cordon off (to close), exclusion zone (an area where people cannot go).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these explosions?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.