Explosion in Tianjin – level 3
Chinese authorities have increased the evacuation zone around the port in Tianjin where two massive explosions killed at least 85 people and injured hundreds more on Wednesday.
An area two miles from the blast site has been cordoned off, while one school, which had been set up as a safe haven for residents has now been evacuated. It comes after a change in wind direction prompted fears that toxic chemical particles could be blown inland, police confirming for the first time the presence of deadly sodium cyanide at the site.
The explosions late on Wednesday originated in a warehouse storing toxic chemicals and some residents have expressed concern that the air and water could have been poisoned.
About 6,300 people have been displaced by the blasts, while 33 people remain in a serious condition in hospital.
Difficult words: blast (an explosion), cordon off (to close), haven (a place of safety), prompt (to make people think), particle (a very small piece of something), displace (to force somebody to leave his or her home).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.