Explosions in Brussels – level 2
There were three explosions in Brussels, Belgium. Two of them were at the airport and the third was at a metro station close to the EU buildings.
Some Belgium media reported that a suicide attack caused the airport explosions. People also heard gunfire before the explosions. People filmed the moments after the explosions and shared them online.
People evacuated the airport and cancelled flights. They closed the metro system in Brussels. Brussels went into lockdown. The government raised the terror threat in Belgium to maximum level.
Difficult words: suicide attack (an attack during in which the attacker kills himself or herself while attacking others), lockdown (a state of isolation for security reasons), threat (a danger).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have these kinds of attacks in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.