Extreme weather in 2021 – level 1
The weather in 2021 is very extreme. Extreme means that it is different. It is not usual. There are tornadoes, wildfires, and floods in new places.
There are heavy floods in Asia, Europe, and New York City. There are many storms. They bring flash floods. Hundreds of people die in Europe. They do not think that floods can come.
It is also very hot in the summer of 2021. Hot weather starts many fires in the US, Turkey, and Southern Europe. Something unusual happens in Siberia. Siberia is a cold place. The ground is frozen there. Then, there are fires last year.
There are other disasters in 2021. Earthquakes happen in Haiti and Pakistan. Hundreds of people die. Volcanoes erupt in Iceland, Saint Vincent, and the Canary Islands. Many volcanoes erupt. Scientists do not know why.
Difficult words: flood (when there is too much water in a river, and it gets into businesses and homes), flash flood (when a storm brings heavy rain, and it rains a lot in a very short time), erupt (to explode or break into many things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.