Extreme weather in a room – level 2
Italian scientists work in special rooms. These rooms are called climatic chambers. A climactic chamber is where a scientist can simulate all different kinds of weather.
The rooms can have snowstorms with temperatures of minus 40 degrees Celsius or dry heat waves, too. Scientists study how different weather conditions affect people, plants, and small animals. Scientists want to understand how living things adapt to extreme weather, which is very important, because global weather is becoming more extreme.
Mountain rescuers use these special rooms too. In the past, they had to climb mountains when they wanted to train. Now, it is much easier, because they train in these rooms.
Difficult words: simulate (to do or make something that looks real but it is not real), adapt (to change for a new situation), extreme (very great or strong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos