Fake accident – level 1
John Darwin is a British man. He runs a business. He rents small flats or apartments. Then, he starts to have money problems. He doesn’t know what to do.
Darwin goes canoeing 20 years ago. He goes missing. Rescuers are surprised. There is no storm at sea.
Darwin’s wife gets 250,000 pounds from her husband’s life insurance. Actually, the man is not dead. He lives in a house next door. Even his two sons think that he is dead.
One day, the man comes to a police station. He says that he doesn’t remember the past five years. He uses another name.
Police don’t believe him. Darwin and his wife go to prison for six years. Darwin says that he fakes the accident. He says it is better for the family when he is dead.
Difficult words: go missing (to be lost and nobody knows you he are), life insurance (money which someone pays so he or his family get more money if he has an accident or he dies), fake (to make something look real but it isn’t).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos