Fake Turtle Eggs – level 1
Police in Central America have a problem. Poachers take turtle eggs from the sand at the beach. They sell the eggs. It is against the law. However, some people like to eat turtle eggs. They believe that turtle eggs are something special to eat.
Scientists have an idea. They make fake eggs. The eggs look like real eggs. They are soft and smooth. However, they have a GPS inside.
Scientists make a test. They put 101 eggs in the sand. Poachers find 25 of them. Scientists can track the eggs. Most eggs stay in the area. However, some eggs end up more than 80 miles away.
The result of the test is good. Scientists hope that fake eggs can help local police.
Difficult words: poacher (a person who breaks the law and he hunts animals or plants), GPS (a satellite system that can tell where something is), track (to follow the way of something from one place to another), result (what happens because of something else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos