Farmers harvest opium – level 1
Taliban makes a new law about drugs. The law says that Afghanistan farmers must not grow poppy for opium.
The poppy is a plant with large red flowers. It has a pod which is full of black seeds. Farmers cut the pod. The next day, they get the juice which comes out from the pod.
People then dry the juice. They make opium from the dry juice. Opium is a very strong drug. It has a yellowish-brown color. It smells strongly. It is an illegal drug.
Farmers harvest opium for the first time this year. The Afghan area of Helmand is a popular place to grow poppy. Farmers from all the country come here. Opium makes a lot of the country’s money.
Difficult words: pod (a case, in which are seeds of some plants), illegal (against the rules of a country), harvest (to pick fruit or crops when it is time to eat it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos