Fearless Mardi Gras – level 1
In Australia, there is a big parade. It is the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade. Thousands of people come. Bars are open late so people can celebrate.
The parade’s theme is ‘fearless’. The organisers want all people to live bravely. They want people to do this even if they are scared.
Difficult words: parade (when people walk through the street and it is a type of a party/celebration), Mardi Gras (some of the celebrations during religious holidays), theme (the idea which is important for an event or a story).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos