Ferry on fire – level 2
A fire started on an Italian ferry on Friday night. The ferry sailed from Greece to Italy, and there were 290 people on board.
Witnesses said that the fire probably started in one of the holds. The fire spread so quickly that it was impossible to stop it. There were 153 vehicles on board, and many of them were trucks. One driver said that the trucks stood so close to each other that it was impossible to escape.
Rescue boats took most of the people to the Greek island of Corfu, and 10 people ended up in hospital. Rescuers were still looking for eight people.
Difficult words: ferry (a boat which moves people and vehicles), onboard (on a ship, plane, or another vehicle), hold (the part of a ship to keep things and move them to another place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos