Ferry on fire – level 2
A ferry was going from Mallorca, which is a Spanish island, to the Spanish mainland. Something caused a fire and the ferry began to burn. Someone on another ferry close by filmed the burning ferry.
The captain of the burning ferry did not initially want to evacuate the boat, but people left in life boats. All 156 people were rescued.
Difficult words: ferry (a big boat for moving people), mainland (the main area of land that forms a country), initially (in the beginning).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what happened to the ferry?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.