Festival in Malta – level 2
In Malta, people hold Gostra Festival every year. It celebrates the feast day of Saint Julian. Part of the festival is a special competition.
First, you take a 10-metre pole and cover it in grease. Then, you fix the greasy pole onto a boat. The boat is in the harbour, so people can watch the show. People direct the pole slightly upwards, and put little flags at the end of it.
The goal is to get to the end of the pole and take one flag. This, of course, is not easy and many people fall into the water.
Difficult words: feast (celebration, party), pole (a long rounded piece of wood), grease (animal fat used in cooking).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to try to climb these poles?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.