Festival of Light – level 2
The city of Quito, Ecuador, lit up in the Festival of Light. It takes place every year and celebrates Ecuador’s declaration of independence from Spanish colonial rule.
The festival grows every year, as two million people visited last year and the number was even higher this year. All of the 19 installations were about light.
Difficult words: declaration (when you declare – formally say something), independence (being free from another country), installation (a piece of art).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos