Filipinos celebrate Easter – level 1
Holy Thursday is a special day for Catholics in the Philippines. Some men celebrate this day in a special way.
The men take part in a ritual. They wear black or red cloth. They walk through the streets and beat themselves. They use chains and whips. They lay on the ground. Others hit them with wooden sticks. The men believe that God will forgive them their sins.
Some people say that this ritual is too old and painful. But for many Filipino Catholics, it is a part of who they are.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What meaning do Filipino Catholics create through their participation in this ritual?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.