Finland and Sweden in NATO – level 1
Finland and Sweden are thinking that they want to join NATO. These ideas start after Russia attacks Ukraine in February.
Finland’s president says that the country will apply to join NATO. Sweden must make some changes in the government to join. Sweden will be the only Northern European county that isn’t a member if it doesn’t apply.
All members of NATO must agree with the new members. This work can take up to one year. Some countries want to do it faster. For example, they are the US, UK, and Germany. Turkey doesn’t agree.
Russia says that Finland and Sweden must plan for Russia to do something if they join.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.