Fire at a party – level 1
This news is from Taipei. People are at a water park. Around 1,000 people dance to music. People spray them with coloured powder.
The powder catches on fire. It burns five hundred people. One hundred and eighty people have to go to intensive care. Luckily, nobody dies.
After this incident, people must not use the powder.
Difficult words: powder (something like sand; a thing from very small and dry parts), burn (when heat and flames hurt something), intensive care (a place in hospital for people who are in danger).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.