Fire at a party – level 2
Around 1,000 people were dancing to music in a water park in Taipei, and people sprayed them with coloured powder.
The powder then caught on fire and burned at least 516 people. Nobody died, but 180 people had to go to intensive care. Some even passed out from the pain. Others had burned clothing stuck to their skin, or breathed in the powder which then caused them respiratory problems.
People are investigating the incident, and the use of this powder is illegal until the investigation is completed.
Difficult words: powder (very small dry pieces of something), pass out (to become unconscious – to look asleep), respiratory (related to breathing).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.