Fire in a refugee camp – level 1
Rohingya Muslims are a minority group in Myanmar. It means that they are different from most people who live in the country.
In 2017, soldiers take strong action against Rohingyas. Thousands of people die. One million people run away from Myanmar. It is too dangerous to stay there. These people stay in refugee camps in Bangladesh. Bangladesh wants to send these people back. But it does not happen.
On Sunday, a big fire starts in one refugee camp in Bangladesh. 1.2 million people live in the camp. Many people lose their homes. The fire destroys all their things. Nobody dies in the fire. Firefighters control the fire.
Difficult words: take action (to deal with a situation or problem), refugee camp (a place where people who run away from their country live), destroy (to damage something so badly that it is not possible to use it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the human rights concerns of forcibly repatriating the Rohingya refugees to Myanmar?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.