Fire meets ice in Iceland – level 2
Iceland is an island where ice meets fire. It is 190 kilometres long and up to 25 kilometres wide.
A volcano on the island began to erupt five months ago. Around 50 to 70 cubic metres of lava flows out of the volcano every second. It is Iceland’s largest eruption since 1783. People report small earthquakes in the area every day.
Officials keep tourists and hikers away from the volcano, and the local villages are prepared for evacuation.
Difficult words: erupt (to let out lava), lava (very hot liquid rock), earthquake (when the earth shakes).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Check out the video! Do you think Mother Nature is amazing?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.