First same-sex naval kiss – level 2
Whenever a naval ship returns to port, people select one crewmember to go first. He disembarks first and kisses his partner. This is the traditional naval first kiss.
The partner waiting for the crewmember is usually a girlfriend or wife, but the Royal Canadian Navy wanted to show people that it supports same-sex relationships.
As a Canadian ship returned to port after 255 days, people selected a gay crewmember. His partner, who is also a marine, welcomed him and they kissed. All of this happened in front of a cheering crowd in Victoria, British Colombia.
Difficult words: naval (relating to the navy – part of the army which is at sea), crew (the people who operate a ship), disembark (to leave), marine (a member of the navy).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the naval first kiss?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.