Floods in Death Valley – level 1
Death Valley is a place in California, US. It is one of the driest and hottest places on earth. People measure the highest temperature ever here. It is 56.7 degrees Celsius.
The valley is dry. Around 4.8 centimeters of rain fall here every year. Last week, flash floods happen. 4.3 centimeters of rain fall in a very short time.
1,000 people are in the valley. They can’t leave. Authorities close all roads.
Floods happen every year in Death Valley. They happen in different places. They shape the valley. In 2004, a flood kills two people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.