Floods in the Balkans – level 1
There are floods in the Balkans. The government evacuates more than 25,000 people. Thirty-seven people die.
Rain covers towns in water. It destroys many houses and roads. Some people have no electricity. They must live on the tops of their houses. Some people have nothing. Their houses may go underwater. Russia and the European Union send some help.
Difficult words: flood (big water), evacuate (move away because of danger), electricity (power to run the lights, appliances and electronics in your house), may (can).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever experienced floods?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.