Food in the Stratosphere – level 2
A group of scientists launched a pastry into the stratosphere. No one knows why they did it, but an amazing video was filmed.
The fake pastry was stuck to a home-made spacecraft. The spacecraft was then attached to a big balloon and released into the sky. The balloon rose to at least 29,000 feet (8,839 metres), but it started to fall down only in two hours. The amateur scientists then reclaimed their invention.
Difficult words: pastry (sweet food), home-made (made outside of a business), reclaim (get back again), invention (something you’ve made).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos