Football Player Emiliano Sala – level 2
Argentinian footballer Emiliano Sala was flying from Nantes, France, to Cardiff, Wales, when his plane went off radar. This was back on 21st of January.
There was an official search operation, but people cancelled it on 24th of January. Sala’s family wanted to find him, and they got help from people who gave them over €370,000. They used the money to hire a professional shipwreck hunter to find the missing plane. The private search found the body of Sala on February 7th. Tributes came in from around the world.
The footballer played for the Football Club Nantes from 2015 to 2019 when he moved to the Cardiff City Football Club. Sadly, he died even before his first training with the new team.
Difficult words: off radar (disappear from the radar), hire (employ, give money to do some work), tribute (a message that you are sad that somebody died, a message to show that you like someone or something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.