Forced marriage in Burkina Faso – level 1
Burkina Faso is a country in western Africa. The country is very poor. Many people don’t have enough money to live.
Some parents decide to do forced marriages. A forced marriage is when they find a husband for their daughter. This girl is often younger than 18. She doesn’t want to marry the man. Sadly, her parents want to save money.
Forced marriages are against the law in Burkina Faso. They still happen. In 2019 and 2021, many of these marriages happen. More than 650 forced marriages and 2,200 child marriages happen.
Some girls run away from their families. They stay in a shelter. The shelter is in the city of Kaya. The girls can study there.
Difficult words: poor (without enough money), child marriage (when a child who is under 18 years old gets married with another child or older person), shelter (a place where a person is safe from a dangerous situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos