Forced marriage in Burkina Faso – level 2
According to an organization, many people in Burkina Faso are so poor that they have no money for food, and sometimes, they have no place to live.
Some parents want to save money, they find a husband for their daughter, and they arrange a forced marriage. This happens against the will of the girl, who is often younger than 18. Reports say that between 2019 and 2021, 650 forced marriages and 2,200 child marriages happened in the country, but the real number is probably much higher.
Some girls run away from their families, and they stay in a shelter where they can study. Nuns run the shelter, and sometimes it happens that parents come to look for their daughters. Forced marriages are illegal in the country, so the girls can usually stay in the shelter.
Difficult words: arrange (to make plans for something to happen), will (what someone wants or wishes to do), nun (a woman who belongs to a religious community of women, and nuns live together in one place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.