Forest fire in Chile – level 1
Some people have a barbecue. Something happens, and the barbecue sets a forest on fire. More than 2,000 hectares burn. People evacuate around 100 homes.
Fire services work to stop the fires. The army and private companies help, too.
Thanks to the fire services, no houses burn down. However, people worry about their houses. Many of their houses are wood.
Difficult words: barbecue (when people cook outside), evacuate (to leave because of a dangerous situation), company (a business).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this fire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos