France and Britain migration deal – level 1
In January 2020, Britain leaves the EU. Relations with France are not so easy since that time.
Rishi Sunak is Britain’s new Prime Minister. He wants to stop people who arrive in Britain illegally in small boats. Most people are from Afghanistan, Iran, and Syria. They come to the south coast of England. Last year, 45,000 migrants come. It is 500% more than two years before. Britain needs the help of France.
Last week, the two countries make a deal. Britain will pay 577 million dollars to France. France will build a detention center. It is a place for people who come to a country illegally. France will have more officers and better technologies to keep its beaches safe.
Difficult words: relation (the way how two or more people or things affect each other), illegally (in a way which is against the rules of a country), migrant (a person who travels to another place or country, often to find work or live better).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What kind of strategies could Britain implement to prevent illegal immigration from France?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos