France bans abayas in schools – level 1
France has a new law. Students must not wear abaya in schools. Abaya is a long robe. Muslim women wear it.
Some people like the ban. But others worry. They are afraid of problems between groups of people. France does not allow religious symbols since 2004. France already bans headscarves. Muslims are very unhappy about it. It is the government’s plan. The government prefers secularism. Secularism is when religious institutions and the state are not connected.
Children, who wear religious clothes, get into trouble.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential consequences of France's ban on religious clothing in schools?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.