France fights anorexia – level 1
Anorexia is a disease. A person with anorexia does not eat. A person with anorexia is too thin.
There are 40,000 people with anorexia in France. Ninety per cent of them are women. Anorexia is a problem. The French government wants to change this situation. The government makes a new law.
This law is about fashion models. They must not be too thin. They must see a doctor. The doctor says if the fashion model is OK.
There are websites about anorexia on the Internet. Some websites like anorexia. They say that it is OK. These websites are called “Pro-ana”. The French government wants to stop Pro-ana websites.
Difficult words: disease (when your body is very sick), government (leaders), law (a text which says what people must do or not do).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is this new law a good idea? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.