France protests after presidential election – level 1
French president Emanuel Macron wins in a presidential election on Sunday. He defeats Marie Le Pen. Macron becomes the first president who wins again after 20 years. Many people vote for him.
Also, many people don’t vote. The number of people who don’t vote is high. It is the highest since 1969. These people are not happy with either candidate.
People celebrate who like Macron. People are very unhappy who vote for Le Pen. People protest in the cities of Paris and Lyon. Protesters attack police officers.
Macron wins but his situation isn’t easy. Many people want a change in politics.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.