France’s Digital Tax – level 1
France and the US meet. They talk about large tech companies. The companies do business on the Internet.
They talk about how to tax the companies. France wants to tax them. The US says that only it can tax some of them. Many of the companies come from the US.
France says that these tech companies use global tax rules. They move their money to countries with lower taxes. Then they do not have to pay higher taxes in the countries where they make the money.
In the summer, France passes a digital tax. This is for tech companies that make money in France. However, a worldwide organization is working on this tax problem. It wants to help across the world so taxes are fair for everyone.
Difficult words: tax (to collect money for something a business or person does), global tax rule (a rule that a country has with other countries about taxes), tax (a fee a business or a person needs to pay when they make money in a country), digital (related to technology).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos