France’s Heatwave – level 1
In France, there are two heatwaves this summer. The temperatures go as high as 45.5 degrees Celsius. Almost 1,500 people die.
Health officials say that this number is very high. It is 1,000 more deaths than normal. Many victims are older than 75 years old.
However, a health official says that France is trying to help people. In summer, big parks and swimming pools stay open. There are “cool rooms” in Paris. The high heat is in seven European countries this summer. Also, more Europeans are buying air conditioners.
Difficult words: heatwave (when it is very hot out), official (a person who speaks for the government – the “bosses” of the country), victim (a person who dies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos