French baguette gets UNESCO status – level 1
The French baguette is very popular. The baguette is a long type of bread. France makes around 16 million baguettes every day.
Recently, French bakeries close. Every year, more than 400 of them close. The French government wants to do something about the situation.
For a long time, the country wants the baguette to be on a global list. The global list is for UNESCO and cultural heritage. The list explains things that must last for the next generations.
Last week, UNESCO experts put the French baguette on the list. The French government will make a baguette day. This day will make the French people proud of the product.
Difficult words: heritage (culture, languages, buildings, and other things which we get from people who live before us), generation (all the people who live at about the same time), product (something that people make and sell).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.