French police and immigrants – level 2
Calais has always attracted a lot of immigrants. The immigrants are usually from Asia, The Middle East and Africa. They seek better futures in Europe.
Riot police removed between 600 and 800 immigrants in Calais recently. The officers moved in and told the migrants to pack their bags. The authorities say that the people must leave because their camps are a danger to health and safety.
The operation comes days after an anti-immigrant political group won the European elections.
Difficult words: seek (try to find), riot police (police which usually fights aggressive protesters), pack their bags (get their things and leave), authorities (bosses).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have a lot of immigrants in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.