From India to Britain on Solar Power – level 3
A solar-powered tuk-tuk has completed a 9,978-kilometre journey from India to Britain. This has been a childhood dream of one Indian man to travel to the UK by road, but he was not happy with the pollution levels in India. Tuk-tuks are one of the most polluting vehicles, so he decided to convert an old tuk-tuk and make it emissions free.
He said that this was challenging because the team and he did not know how to convert the tuk-tuk and they did not have good tools to do it. They built the solar-powered tuk-tuk by trial and error. They failed a lot of times, but the team members who helped him believed in the idea. They even failed last year when they drove 1 kilometre and the tuk-tuk broke down, but now thousands of kilometres is not a problem.
The man reached Britain five days later than planned because someone stole his passport. He hopes that his trip raises awareness of electric vehicles as a sustainable mode of transport.
Difficult words: tuk-tuk (a small three-wheeled motorised vehicle), pollution (if there is pollution somewhere, the place is dangerously dirty), emission (what comes out of a car when it drives), trial and error (experimenting and seeing what works best), awareness (a well-informed interest in something), sustainable (not dangerous to the planet).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos