Frozen food helps hot animals – level 2
Temperatures rose up to 48°C in Brazil this summer, and animals in a zoo in Rio de Janeiro felt the heat. The heat made them tired and not very active.
The zoo came up with a great way to cool off its 2700 animals. Now all the food for the animals comes in blocks of ice. Every day people deliver around two tonnes of the frozen food. Some of the frozen foods are watermelons and mangos.
The cold food refreshes the animals and helps them be more active.
Difficult words: come up with something (to have an idea to do something), cool off (to make less hot), refresh (to give energy).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.