Full head transplant – level 2
A Russian computer scientist suffers from a rare disease which causes severe muscle weakness. His condition is getting worse and worse and he must get help. Otherwise, he will die.
The man plans to have a surgery – a full head transplant. During the operation, doctors will place his head on somebody else’s body. The operation would cost around $10 million pounds, and it would take place in either China or the US.
The man knows that this is very dangerous – he knows that he may not survive the operation. However, he wants to take the risk. Even if he dies, he can still push forward medical science.
Difficult words: severe (very strong), weakness (being weak – not strong), push forward (help by providing information).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this operation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos